Friday, June 02, 2006

The first week is over.

I have been twice for radiation now and wanted everyone to know my arm hasn't fallen off yet. There are some weird side effects like my cell phone ringing when I pick it up and my wedding band glowing in the dark, but other than that everything is normal.

The whole radiation thing appears fairly easy for those who aren't familiar with it. I go to Duke, park in a special lot behind the Radiology Clinic and wait in a treatment waiting room about 5 minutes for my turn. I have a scheduled time each morning and, unexpectedly, traffic on I-40, through RTP, and on the Durham Freeway has been super easy. I guess I've been lucky...HA

Treatment involves two 30 second bursts of radiation through the front half of my arm. They use focus radiation that only hits the area they want, so the rest of me isn't exposed. My arm rests in a casting they've made and everything is lined up using lasers with registration marks on the casting and my arm. I think I get inked next weeks with two bad ass dots that are just about impossible to see. If you want a visual image, think superman in khakis and a beard flying...maybe add a pound or two around the middle.

So that's about it for now. The comments have been great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home