Monday, May 21, 2007

Pulling Tubes

Hey everyone,

The pain has been manageable and I’m doing well, enjoying the time alone to rest (and by rest I mean sleep), watching some sci-fi DVD’s, and learning a little Spanish. Those are listed in order of what I’m doing most to what I’m doing least. I can say, “The boy is under the table,” as well as quite a number of other useless phrases, unless you’re a babysitter or a child kidnapper.

It looks like the seed strands come out around 9am and surgery is scheduled for 10:30 tomorrow morning. They are probably taking the seeds out then immediately wheeling me to pre-op, The seeds are carted off in this heavy lead bucket on wheels, affectionetky name, "The Pig." I asked, "Why The Pig?" but still haven't received a good or funny enough answer.

The doctors will pull the catheter tubes from my arm before reconstruction begins in the OR. The surgery is going to be fairly long, in the six hour range. Transferring hair to your arm from your back is no simple procedure…

After surgery, I’ll be in the ICU most likely overnight. There will be limited visitation and there is a decent chance that they’ll keep me asleep through the night to make sure I’m absolutely still, increasing the success with the skin flap transfer. Personally, if I have to sit absolutely still for a whole day, I want to sleep through that monotony or at least be in a deer stand, preferably a Gunslinger climber with a headrest and great napping potential. Special shout out to all the fellas in Thee Deer Club. Some of you still owe me money for this year's dues. You know who you are...

That being said, Tuesday isn’t a great day to visit and Wednesday might be questionable if I’m just coming off anesthesia that morning. Regardless, I’ll be groggy and very sore for a couple of days after the surgery. We’ll know a lot more after the surgery when we can talk to the doctors.

Let's finish what we've started, tomorrow.


CP

19 Comments:

At 5/21/2007 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will be thinking of you - hope the surgery goes well and we look forward to visiting - will wait until you get settled back home. Ashley, seriously, let me know what I can do - remember I am home!

Hesta

 
At 5/21/2007 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one way to get your back hair removed. Good luck over the coming days...I will be thinking about you.

E. Miller

 
At 5/21/2007 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you CP and Ashley. I hope and pray everything goes well. BY the way, you are back on the Oklahoma church ladies prayer list. I don't know what to say but they seem close to God to me. Karen Davidson Smith

 
At 5/21/2007 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you made me laugh out with the deer club comment.

god's speed.
davis

 
At 5/21/2007 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure "The boy is under the table" will be a useful and frequently uttered phrase. Good luck tomorrow.

Nicky

 
At 5/21/2007 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will be thinking about you all day tomorrow. Can't wait to come see you whenever you give us the go ahead. We love you so much, Kristin, Nate and Ella

 
At 5/21/2007 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started reading your blog because of my job as Director of the Annual Fund at Woodberry Forest. My mother-in-law is succumbing to kidney cancer that she's battled since Katrina hit. Best of luck to you in your fight as your insight is very meaningful to me and others.

 
At 5/21/2007 10:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Clyde! I'll look forward to hearing from you when you emerge from your day long sleepathon.

I'll keep an eye on the baby under the table.

yo estoy muy guapo,
luke j.

 
At 5/22/2007 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you CP- and all the Harris Clan!!!
Alice and Chad

 
At 5/22/2007 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cp - thinking about you down here in East L.A. (lower alabama). if you are looking for any more good dvd's - go for my sleeper fav of 2006 - "Snakes on a Plane". Six stars from me. And it actually seems more realistic than the Sam Jackson passed on - "Radioactive Pellets in My Arm". Hope the surgery goes well!!!

Soave

 
At 5/22/2007 10:18 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

We miss you guys and we are constantly thinking of you. Good luck this week and with recovery. New York is ready to throw down when you're better!

Hilary and Lumpy

PS - Barney wants Watts to know he is thinking about her too.

 
At 5/22/2007 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Strong positives, CP. I know you are a super personable fella. i'm gonna stand up for this one. Let's get 'em in!!"

I will send a quick email out to make sure the entire Cheg Nation has their prayers tunred up to 11 for the next 12 hours or so. H and I will be up there to check out the scars and to give you and Verms hugs soon.

LOVE MY CP & ASH!!!!

Hutch

 
At 5/22/2007 11:37 AM, Blogger Mark Appleby said...

Clyde,

I will be think about you a lot this week. Thanks for sharing such a remarkable journey. God bless.

 
At 5/22/2007 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you both and I know you are getting to see each other today and I think that will be huge for you both. All of my prayers and thoughts are with you both today and over the next months of recovery.

 
At 5/22/2007 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Tuesday Rosetta Stone Spanish assignment for Professor Bear: Learn to tell the nurse "It has been 15 minutes. The 250-pound boy is ready for another sponge bath."

 
At 5/22/2007 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP-

No worries on the back hair. I'm sure it will grow back in full force. If not, you're welcome to borrow some of Craig's.

Keep the spirits high and the pain meds frequent. Stay strong, my man!

Tennille

 
At 5/22/2007 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyd:

You are in our prayers.
Ed & Shirley Arditti

 
At 5/22/2007 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, careful with those Spanish phrases; Don't want to see you on one of those Dateline specials.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Wilkinses

 
At 5/22/2007 7:44 PM, Blogger tom.callahan said...

Battlestar Galactica Season 1? Rookie.

I think Yosh just has a Cylon lady in his head.

Good luck and fast recovery!

Tom C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home