Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Testing...1, 2, 3.

Over the past few weeks I've enjoyed greeting a bit of normality into my life. As of last week, I no longer have to have my blood drawn twice a week. As of this week, I can pretty much eat whatever I want. As of tomorrow, the port in my chest will be removed and I don't have to deal with having a doorbell sewn into my chest any longer.

The quarterly chest scan came back unchanged today and I'll get the results from everything else (kidney, heart, bone) tomorrow...hopefully while I'm sitting at home sleeping off the morning's surgery to remove the port which to my knowledge closely resembles pulling the drawstring out of a pair of sweatpants. Sweatpants, jugular, what's the difference?...

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

CP

2/1/07 Post Script:

The port's out. The tests all looked good. We're packing for Mexico. Adios Porto!

Now what? Grow hair. Get back to my normal life which I guess lies somewhere between real estate, women's fashion, and the great outdoors. Go back to Durham every three months for the next two years and be rescan during what the doctors have deemed the high risk period for a reoccurrence. Move on.

High risk period! Sounds scary. What I can confidently say, acknowledging that these scans are an intense and worrisome pain in the butt, is that I have done and will continue to do everything I can to reduce the risk of a reoccurrence even though there still is one...one that dramatically dwindles after two years and just about disappears after five. Until then, I'll keep plugging away and will continue to update this blog on anything worthy of making the Chronicles.

After all this, there is a good chance that I will only return to Duke from now on to undergo checkups rather than treatments. Thanks to everyone for their support and best wishes to all those who are fighting their own fights, whatever they may be.

4 Comments:

At 1/31/2007 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming to raleigh soon. Start decanting that bottle of "Carol's " now.

 
At 2/02/2007 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Clyde! What an amazing battle you've fought! I hope you and Ashley have so much fun celebrating the many happy milestones to come.

Susanna

 
At 2/02/2007 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear C.P.,
I am so happy you are basically through with this challenge. I am anxiously awaiting the get away to Sea Island in March. I hope you and Ashley will be ready to party with bells on.
Seee ya,
Karen Davidson Smith

 
At 2/05/2007 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

clyde and ashley,
i am so glad you are feeling great and in mexico having fun. i miss you and thanks again for coming to see me for my baptism!
love, campbell davis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home