Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hit the Road, Jack!


Popped the cork this morning, so it looks like I'm most likely going home this afternoon. The only other concern was physically getting around. Being in the bed for a week sounds cool, but it really isn't. Yesterday on the way to hand therapy, the guy transporting me in the wheelchair and I came to the conclusion that 2 to 3 days is about the maximum time before it starts to not be awesome. We also agreed you had to have a 40+ inch widescreen TV, big comfortable bed, someone fun to share it with, necessary amenities and entertainment…basically everything I did not have except for professional sponge bathers, maids, and a person at the other end of a button who was there to try to make you’re life easier, i.e. nurse.

That did not happen yesterday morning when one of “those people” misread my medication and double dosed me on pain meds. Plus side: no pain, state of euphoria, etc. Negative side: totally screwed up a perfectly good morning, couldn’t have other medications, numerous annoying people swarming me, anger, a little feeling of questioning the system, blood/pulse monitor clipped to my ear for 2 hours. Todd, give me a call. We’ll settle this one. Everything worked out fine with that. I think it will be a much larger issue for Duke than CP. It didn’t even hold a candle to my waking up from anesthesia, paralyzed with a breathing tube down my throat. That was awesome…and only one of several other horror stories I have under my belt after this adventure.

So, they've rigged me up with the device you see in the picture. Let me try to remember the technical names for cutting edge hand therapy components...bra hooks, fishing line, Velcro straps, and rubber bands. The advances in science are totally mind-blowing sometimes. This brace will keep my fingers from overextending and injuring the transferred tendons, and the hook, line, stretcher part will provide resistance on my fingers helping to improve both range of motion and strength. The whole rig is much lighter, creepier, and comfortable…great combination.

It has been a long two weeks. In whole, I received unbelievable treatment, care, and attention at Duke. All their people are amazing…well, almost all. Regardless, it’s a special place. I’m ready to go home and start seeing everyone. I might be a couch slug, who’s not the most fun person in the world to be around, but if you want to relax and catch up, I’ll probably be pretty easy to find for the next month or two…or not.

Hollar! I’m back baby, I’m BACK.

PS Don’t slap my back when you hug me.

(Triton Photo Updates)

12 Comments:

At 5/29/2007 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP-

I'm not on any specific pain meds at the moment (though they'd likely make work far more interesting) but I don't think you were hallucinating when you saw Shrek in your hospital room.

Not sure if you can turn around in that new contraption of yours but he appears to be behind you and strangely you both are sporting the same affable grin.

Can't tell you how happy we are to hear you're getting back on your feet and on the road to recovery.

In the immortal words of Drama....

VICTORY!!!!!!!

The Tennilles

 
At 5/29/2007 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw the pics...HOLY TERMINATOR! Glad to hear you are headed home.

PS - As for the last picture, I think I have seen a similar shot from beach week down in Myrtle.

E. Miller

 
At 5/29/2007 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde and Ashley,
We have been keeping up with you and thinking of you each day for so long now...Just wanted to let you know that you have been in our prayers and we are sending warm wishes your way!
Al, Bonnie(Warren), Albie and Payton Palsa

 
At 5/29/2007 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally got to ctach up with teh Triton Chronicles after several days absence. Pretty gnarly pics and stories; yet, i am filled with inspirtaion and admiration while pouring over each word and photo.

Not to get too mushy, but it was so emotional to hear your voice yesterday. Harper and I just held each other in relief after you & I hung up the phone.

We can't wait to get some CP & Ash hugs Thursday - I promise we will not stay too long. Can't wait to see you both.

Hutch

PS - can i touch it? The scar that is.

 
At 5/29/2007 8:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That Piranha pic is just the salt of the earth now ain't it...

Glad your hittin' the road and on the path to a full recovery.

Shark Week is officially over!

Best,
Isaac

 
At 5/29/2007 8:52 PM, Blogger Cashwell said...

CP,

Glad you're making strides. You're a courageous man.

I still think about that Thai restaurant you mentioned over on Capital Blvd. when I saw you at the Montagues that night. Maybe we can grab some lunch there when you're feeling up to it? Let me know.

Take care -


David Cashwell

 
At 5/29/2007 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Tumperi snap that last photo of you in your B-dorm room? Too bad the picture didn't capture the magazine flying across the room.

 
At 5/29/2007 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP-
So glad to hear you're headed home and that you're on the mend. You guys are in our thoughts...
Much love,
Woody and Cali

 
At 5/29/2007 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP,
Great news that you're on your way home! Pulling for you big time! Hope to see you down at Atlantic Beach in July, perhaps some surf fishin...

Take it slow and EZ,
Asheley K.

 
At 5/30/2007 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy-
We are thinking of you and Ash-
You are both amazing!
Love, Hugs and kisses!
Alston & BWS

 
At 5/30/2007 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pizzle, all I gots to say is nothing but love for you and Verms. Cant wait to catch up on the adventures. A quote from a great 70's sitcom "“Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better…stronger…faster.”-Jess

 
At 5/30/2007 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nanananananananananananana
Sweet pics Bio Man...Glad to see you still smilen' and glad you get to finally head home. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Tommy prays for you at night and then asks who you are.. we have to get yall together sometime soon!

All our Love,
Ted, Kristin, Tommy & Hank

 

Post a Comment

<< Home