Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Lost in Transition

Day 1 (100mg Oxycontin 0mg Methadone)
The transition began today from taking 120mg of oxycontin daily for the past four months. After lunch, within a few hours of starting the Catapress patch I had to lay down but instead wrote a dramatic blog entry comparing cancer to medieval battle, without catapults. The strength of the patch washes over me in heavy waves. It's slightly intoxicating, causes mild drowsiness, and itches slightly. I'll take the Cymbalta tonight for the first time.

Day 2 (100mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
This morning I took my first dose of methadone. Apparently it takes days to build up in your system to generate the desired effects. I woke up with chills and feeling a bit feverish. Haven't seen babies crawling on the ceiling yet. It's mid-afternoon and I definitely feel doped but oddly am a bit jumpy and amped up as well. The patch on my arm continues to itch.

Day 3 (100mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
I think I might have taken a tranque dart to the jugular. I can barely adjust my focus on the keys, probably have the pulse of an elephant, and am rocking a serious case of continmouth. Going down hard for a nap...poot scoots style. At PT they thought the hand looked great. My fingers straightened quite a bit. Six months was a bluff. That was almost impossible to write... Late afternoon: feeling better...while eating some grapes, I opened the cabinet door to put back the mesh grape-washing thingy and realized I had stuck the bag of grapes in its place.

Day 4 (80mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
Although I woke up feeling the least sick so far, I've reduced my morning dose (and the afternoon dose) of oxycontin by 10mg. In general, the pain is doing fine. Even with there being more pain in my forearm, this new cast doesn't have he sting of the last one. After waking up from falling asleep during lunch, I was slightly behind on my meds and felt a bit off. Other than chronic narcolepsy, I'm doing pretty good (or faily well, your choice).

Day 5 (80mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
Day five was the easist day so far. With the introduction of caffine, the drowsiness was signifigantly decreased and the withdrawal symptoms were hardly noticable. Probably a good idea since I rode around the farm all afternoon on a Kawasaki Mule with a 2 year old and three year old riding shotgun. Just before going to bed, I fell asleep standing up in front of the TV. Rad PS Bret made his choice.

Day 6 (80mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
Very similar to yesterday, except without the farm, Mule, caffine and small children to stimulate things. (Keep your mind out of the gutter. That's not what I meant about small children stimulting me) Ash and I were at Duke most of the day. Currently we are still waiting on the results from the CT chestscan.

Day 7 (40mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
Chestscan clean. I could spend the whole day like John Belushi's last visit to Chateau Marmont and still feel great. Even with the dosage cut in half, I mde it through the day feeling pretty good and not overly drowsy. The six iced teas at lunch might have helped somewhat with the latter. Had a little trouble sitting still and watching a movie...kinda jumpy with no attention span. Could just be a bad movie.

Day 8 (40mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
Felt great. Gave into drowsiness and took a nap after lunch, one before dinner, and went to bed at 9pm. Sleep rules!

Day 9 (40mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
After nine hours of sleep, I woke up at 6am. I felt a bit off and couldn't rally focus my eyes. After a 9am acupuncture treatment, my head and eyes were totally clear. During the transition, Marc has focused my two a week treatments to help ease the transition. Dad and I double-dated a lunch meeting with a buddy of mine, Hooper, and his three year old. Very productive meeting... The rest of the day went well, nicely completed with Abbitt and assorted cheeses.

Day 10 (20mg Oxycontin 40mg Methadone)
I'm not sleeping well because of all the water I have to drink to avoid dry mouth and I'm pretty much always really tired. The pain is still OK and I'm not having any withdrawal symptoms at all from such a small dose. By the third casting my hand is really getting stretched out. It's close to straight.

10 Comments:

At 9/26/2007 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came home today to a big smiley face in my driveway and knew immediately Clyde must have found Darcy's stash of chalk! You have a gift of bringing so much joy to other's lives, Clyde. You and Ashley are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Trinnie, Madalyn and Darcy

 
At 9/26/2007 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the analogy. Bret will be so psyched about the tattoo - just be sure to mispell it.

much love,
kwb

 
At 9/26/2007 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde and Ashley-
I follow your blog and think about you constantly. Just know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep fighting!
Love-
Steele

 
At 9/27/2007 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP,
Thanks as always for letting those of us who don’t get to see you as often as we would like know how things are going. It may be drug induced, but your analogy of being a village with an enemy on the hills is very apt. The name of the village is Clydevegas and you are our fearless mayor / guru. Clyddevegas is a village full of those that love you and support you, those who will fight for you, those who know how to take care of you, and all the citizens of Clydevegas are with you as you stand guard. I will keep you in my thoughts as you endure this withdrawal and transition period.

Lovett

P.S. I commend you on your mastery of the spelling and use of medical terms.

 
At 9/27/2007 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great analogy. There is no doubt in my mind that you and your army will fight any potential battle head on. We're behind you completely CP, thinking of you and praying for y'all everyday.

Sorry I missed you in Raleigh on Tuesday, but it was great to see Verms and Fleming. Nice work with the store and the tunes were sweet. Look fwd to seeing you in a few weeks.

Owen, Merrie, Pres, and HB

 
At 9/27/2007 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read the last 2 blogs. So much heavy stuff in there, both good and bad, it's hard to believe at times. I do know this, you and your family are some good people and we send our love and prayers.

Jack and family

 
At 9/28/2007 9:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Clyde, looking forward to seeing you soon. Thanks for the updates. Though I'm not living too close, my spirit is camped in your village all the time. And I brought my sword.
love you,

luke n DD

 
At 9/28/2007 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde,

I'm thinking about you buddy. Keep up the positive attitude. Clark and I are circling the wagons down here for you.

Simpson

 
At 9/29/2007 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like our army is a bunch of Transformers and GoBots. Their army is a bunch of in-bred French gypsies that throw feces from behind bushes. We will annihilate them. On my way to the latrine last night, I found one of the filthy bastages smoking by the path....I punched him in the trachea and put a steel-toe boot in his arse. They know we're coming....

Mad props and love,
Will, Shania and Huddy

 
At 10/01/2007 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde -

You and Ashley are definitely warriors. Keep the faith and keep up the good fight. I agree with the others that suggest you publish your blog. You are such an inspiration and your humor is incredible. My thoughts and prayers continue...

Wendi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home