Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Sorry to be a Slacker...

There hasn't been any breaking news for the past few weeks but here is a list of the more important recent happenings.

1. Most importantly, my chest scan has been rescheduled for the 13th of February at 2pm.

2. My mother’s chemo has lasted somewhat longer than anticipated. Her original protocol wasn’t having the desired results so they made it more aggressive and spread them out from every week to every three, giving her more recovery time. This has caused a tremendous reduction in her white cell counts, both good and bad ones, as well as shrinkage of her enlarged spleen. A bittersweet success, because the stronger chemo, though effective, has been much more difficult to tolerate. Weakness, nausea, and overall crumminess are all some of the symptoms she’s had to deal with for some time now. It’s a tough journey, but hopefully the end is in sight.

3. Although the pain in my hand continues to improve, my doctor wants to keep my pain medication where it is for now. She fears that a decrease in the meds too fast could result in a reemergence of the pain with the possibility of not being able to recapture it with my current medication regiment. I guess I won't be crunching numbers in my head for a few more months... Oddly enough, she believes it's the Lyrica and not Methadone that has the most impact on my cognitive skills. Lyrica and 2 years at the Junkyard.

4. We're heading to NY today and will be back Monday. At that time, Snout should be ready for pick up. We decided on one pup.

5. Physical therapy continues. We're still trying to maintain the straightening from the casting, which basically means wearing a brace that works like a retainer to bed each night. It really only gets unbearable after a few hours and robs only one or two hours of sleep from me each night. I actually have another brace to help retrain my fingers to straighten properly and another that pulls my thumb into an opposable position so I can pick up things like a sock or a sunglasses case on my own. Physical therapy and corrective surgery could continue for the next 5 or so years. What a lucky turn of events that my therapist and I like the same shows on TV, giving us new material to laugh about each week. If I get a chance, I’ll upload some photos of my brace collection.

6. Flavor of Love 3 starts in less than a week.

7. When I return from New York, I’m going to start volunteering at Duke. I’ve found a program that I like and have just about completed all the requirements and classes to qualify. I’m excited to begin this stage of my journey and feel it is an excellent turn down the path of recovery.

Thanks for checking in and I hope everyone is doing Awesome. I guess Megan & Daisy are my favorite ROL2 girls, keeping Bret’s best interest in mind, of course.

PS Watts has been pointing wild birds (quail) at the farm lately. It’s been exciting.

10 Comments:

At 2/06/2008 4:13 PM, Blogger Joelle said...

Clyde & Ashley-
Paul and I are thinking about you and glad for your post today. Snout is adorable!
Mental math is way overrated, anyway...

Love,
Joelle

 
At 2/07/2008 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you guys have a blast in nyc! hopefully you can see hilary and lumpy while you're there. so glad to hear about the milestones in recovery. your mom is in our thoughts and prayers as well as you guys continue to be.

all the best,
jaci & zac

 
At 2/07/2008 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Ruth is doing better. Jack and I are praying for you both. The dog is wonderful I know you will love it. Love the black eye. God with you both. Jack and Linda Higgins.

 
At 2/08/2008 10:57 AM, Blogger Hutch said...

Definitely have been, and will continue to, pray for Momma Harris.

Cool news about the volunteering. Sounds like fun. I bet those folks at Duke are gonna get a kick out of "C-Cheeg".

And I smell a quail hunt at the farm a'brewin'. And as always, the birds need not fear from me.

Hope to see you & Ash soon. Lots to talk about. H & I went yesterday and saw the heartbeat of our Lil' Hutch. Friggin' WEIRD!

Love you both very much.

 
At 2/09/2008 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to finally see an update on the blog! we have been checking daily and have missed the updates.. also, glad to see that things with you seem to get better and better with each entry!

as always, mama ruth is in our prayers. no doubt that she will have the same success as you have... hope nyc is a blast! enjoy your trip and your "break" from nc.. we love you guys, nate, kristin, ella and maggie.

 
At 2/09/2008 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to finally see an update on the blog! we have been checking daily and have missed the updates.. also, glad to see that things with you seem to get better and better with each entry!

as always, mama ruth is in our prayers. no doubt that she will have the same success as you have... hope nyc is a blast! enjoy your trip and your "break" from nc.. we love you guys, nate, kristin, ella and maggie.

 
At 2/11/2008 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you guys in NYC. Wishing you good results on Wednesday.

-Wilkinses

 
At 2/13/2008 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I know everyone is, I'm thinking about you today and hoping for good results!!!

Susanna

 
At 2/13/2008 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending massive love and prayers to the Harris Crew.

Davis Family

 
At 2/13/2008 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking about all of you. Kiss Aunt Ruth for me....big hugs to you all. Can't wait to meet Snout!! What a QT!
LOVE YOU
Alice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home