Thursday, January 03, 2008

Happy Newscare

For the first few weeks after the chest scan, things were nice and relaxing. Physical therapy was going well and Ashley and I continued with all our plans. As we did all this a Grinch of sorts sat quietly in my arm a bit closer to the elbow. Around Christmas, the area started to bother me a little. Ashley and I both figured that it was just some weakened muscles being stretched or some scar tissue irritation from the finger straightening process. Just before New Years, we decided to email my oncologist and let him know we were curious about it.

"I have a sore area in my elbow near the scar that has me curious. It's been sore for a week or so and although I don't feel a nodule in particular, it just seems a bit off. Could we meet next week after Tuesday so I could get your professional opinion? Thanks and Happy New Year."

Being more cautious than alarmed, we set up an appointment for the 3rd to have things checked out. The area continued to feel more swollen and inflamed and my elbow gradually became harder to straighten. We had the appointment yesterday and it went pretty much how I figured. After examining the arm, he thought we should get an MRI, not because he thought things were "worrisome" but because of my history, we had to cover our bases. But then why would it be worrisome... I mean the treatment for a second recurrence is just a simple above the elbow amputation.

So now we wait. We've waited for the appointment. Waited for the MRI at 8 last night. Ashley waited for me while I sat in the tube for over an hour being having the arm scanned. And now we wait for the results.

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch
You're a nasty, wasty skunk
Your mind is filled with unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk
Mr. Grinch
The words that best describe you are as follows,
and I quote: Stink, stank, stunk!

10 Comments:

At 1/03/2008 10:52 AM, Blogger Hutch said...

That's OK CP, we'll bring in the New Year as we ended the last - with a scare followed by a good result.

We're praying for the falsest of alarms, and the best of results. You never know, some stories have happy endings (no, not that kind of 'happy ending'):

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

And what happened then...?
Well...in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch's small heart
Grew three sizes that day!
And the minute his heart didn't feel quite so tight,
He whizzed with his load through the bright morning light
And he brought back the toys! And the food for the feast!
And he...

...HE HIMSELF...!
The Grinch carved the roast beast!

Here's to CP carving the roast beast this year!
WE love you both very much!

 
At 1/03/2008 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are in our thought and prayers ... as always.
I cant wait to hear the good news:)
love you both- Alston & BWS

 
At 1/03/2008 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP, great to see you this past weekend. Stay strong so we can do it again next year (I believe the NC game is in Miami).
Wall

 
At 1/03/2008 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP, you're blessed with both a positive attitude and strong will unlike any I've ever seen. And you have an enourmous amount of friends and loved ones praying for you. Keep your head up.
We love you.

- David, Jen & Mary

 
At 1/03/2008 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you & Ashley as you go through more waiting ("the wa-a-aiting is the haaaardest part"). Can you feel all the good vibes coming your way? 'Cause they sure are...
in the mean time, you are in my prayers. here's to getting some good news; you are due.
take care,
jaci

 
At 1/03/2008 2:42 PM, Blogger tom.callahan said...

I hope this scare is like a monster on Scooby Doo. Some crotchety nerve that doesn't like all the commotion.

Will be thinking about you, man.

 
At 1/03/2008 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved seeing you both for new years. I'm sorry you're in the waiting game and dealing with this new development. We'll be thinking of you.
love elizabeth & chris

 
At 1/03/2008 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP - Sorry to hear about the setback. I'm sure the MRI will come back fine. Great to see you in CLT, we need to get together again soon. Keep the faith my man, we're all in this fight with you together.

Much love,
O, Mer, Pres, HB & Greta

 
At 1/03/2008 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP,
First we have issues with security at the bowl game and now this. I hate this for you and Asley but Hutch is right (did I just say that?), you have been down this road before and you did so with grace and courage. I loved seeing you at the game, it had been far too long. You remain, as always, in my thoughts.

Lovett

 
At 1/03/2008 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C.P.,
Happy New Year and you are officially on my 2008 prayer list. Also today marks the day that a good friend of mine in Tulsa started chemo for stage 2 breast cancer. 34 years old, 7 year old child. Cancer doesn't ever seem to stop. I pray for you and everyone else fighting to stay healthy and POSITIVE. You are such an inspiration to so many people you will never know. Thank you for the blog and humor.
Love,
Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home