Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Snoutski Chronicles


Guilty as charged...

I ran over my puppy this past Friday with my '93 Bronco.

He wasn't happy. Not only did it snap his femur clean through, but it fractured his pelvis in multiple places on both sides. Great timing, I might add, since it was 4 days until Pup could get on the operating table with it being Memorial Day weekend. Oh, don't worry, this weekend will always be remembered.

So we (we being a great surgeon in Wilson, living in Louisburg, from where I don't know) operated today and will get little man back tomorrow. The broken femur seemed straight forward enough (after surgery), mended by a plate. The pelvis was a bit more complicated. The same pressure that most likely snapped homes' leg crushed the socket in that hip. The damage was beyond repair, so...interestingly enough, they cut off the ball from the top of the femur. With time, confinement in a kennel, and everyone's favorite, PT, he should be back on all four feet in a mere 8 weeks. The connective tissues and muscles in the joint will actually keep everything in place, with minimal discomfort. The other hip was fractured but not as successfully as the left side. With time and limited activity, it will hopefully heal on it's own.

I still think the dogs enjoy running beside the car. They simply just prefer not to be run over by it. Watts has petitioned that Snout be put to sleep or at least left with carnies from Louisiana, but Ash and I overruled her and are bringing him home. Besides, dogs don't get votes in these matters. Leather sofas in the living room, yes. Family dynamics, rarely.

So Snout will be home tomorrow. He's been a model patient, only biting me (who well deserved it) and has been playful and in great spirits despite extreme boredom and pain. The vets think he is one of the toughest, bravest dogs they've ever seen. Kinda makes your heart melt...or at least mine...or maybe that's the haunting sound of him squealing while I slow rolled over him and crushed him like Capt. Tony during deer season 45 minutes before sunset.

Thanks for the surprising and appreciated support. Snout has some fans. Most prefer text messaging, but who doesn't.

Talk 2 U soon!

(meeting pain doctor and surgical oncologist tomorrow...boring)



Midnight Post Script:

Appointments went well. I'm officially off one (out of three) of my pain meds as of tonight (truthfully the one that had the most psychological effects). Hello tolerance... Pain doc thought it was pretty remarkable how unaffected I was from my treatments considering the numerous traumatic experiences I had involving extreme levels of pain. I referred her to the blog for details.

My other doc loved the x-ray shot of Snout's leg and really fell out when I described my vision of a one armed man with a three legged dog. Chest scans will continue quarterly for another year. The other Triton tumor patient is a woman, with a tumor in her arm. She is doing well and probably doesn't need to hear about my adventures at this time.

Everything sounds about normal. Snout and I both are medical wonders...

10 Comments:

At 5/28/2008 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parenthhood has is real ups and downs. It' never easy to see your babes hurting.I'm sure you and Ashley will shower your "Little Man" with enough love and TLC to carry him through with flying colors. He's too cute for words. Love, Mom

 
At 5/28/2008 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petey mentioned that the carnies in Louisiana were such a nice people and he swears they treat their dogs like royalty.

 
At 5/29/2008 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one armed man with the three legged dog....O My!! hugs

 
At 5/29/2008 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your dog I know how much love they give us.My little dog is 10 years old now love him to pieaces. Hope Ruth is doing well. Love Jack and Linda Higgins

 
At 6/02/2008 2:14 PM, Blogger Hutch said...

Harrisesesss,

Glad to hear you are continuing to kick the meds. Always inspiring.

Oddly enough, I am picking my Ziggy up from the Vet today. She had 2 herniated discs rupture last week, which as of last week were rendering her hind legs useless. Some of you will remember that I had surgery for three herniated discs last fall - in pretty much the same place as hers. Weird, eh?

Anyway,I pretty much thought I was driving her to get the BIG sleepy shot last Friday. As luck would have it, she is responding well to PT and steroids and can now stand and walk - albeit feebly.

To be honest with you, and I can read that some of you would agree, I would rather have my back surgery again 4 times over rather than see her in that condition again.

Sorry to poach your Blog-o-sphere, CP; but oh well.

Mooch ..., I mean, Hutch

 
At 6/04/2008 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C.P.,
I had a crazy teacher in high school who was famous for his quotes, one of which fits perfectly in your current situation. "When the puppy barks, the car rolls on." sick bastard......
Karen Smith

 
At 6/05/2008 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP,
I look forward to the day when youir blog conatins no medical updates about anyone or any dog. Untill than, know that you, your mom, and now your dog are in our thoughts.
Lovetts

 
At 6/09/2008 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hated to read this! hope the pup is on the up and up!!

Jack D.

 
At 6/26/2008 1:20 PM, Blogger Kim Seymour said...

Hey there...
I have kept tabs on you and Ash through your sister's visit to the shop. Couldn't be more fun to celebrating happy news with her and in a sense, you two! I finally got on here today to see what your latest tidbits may have been. We are long overdue for some socializing...after all the summer beach trips, perhaps. You and Ashley and your family stay in my prayers. Just wanted you to know! :)
Oh! And congrats to Ash and you on the successful run Vermillion's having -- they announced 12 consecutive "up" months and I was thrilled to hear Verm. included!
Hope to see you soon!
Kim

 
At 6/27/2008 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Big guy,
Hello from sunny Montana. It's 71 degres and beautiful here. Yellowstone is still at flood stage from late snow and rain so no fishing or even boats in the water at all.
Hope all is well with you and yours. Happy to know all is going well with your health and you continue to feel strong.
The cyclists for Primal Quest passed through Livingston yesterday. What super athletes they are. THey had to cancel the Yellowstone 40-mile kayak leg which turned into the cycling.
Only 4 days until the Rodeo starts and the 4th of July Parade.
Those of us who are pet lovers want an update on little Snout. What's the word? We also need a photo...please.
Hugs, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home