Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Finding Chemo

We met yesterday with the newest member of the team. He's a perky fellow at the Pediatric Oncology Clinic who uses big words like "puke" to make Ashley laugh. After testing the limits of his patience by asking 328 questions (most answered with a "we're not sure" or "we don't really know the answer to that yet"), we uncovered a wealth of information regarding my chemotherapy treatment. To save everyone the effort of trying to decipher the details from the sarcasm, I'm just going to list them.

  • Chemo will involve doxorubicin and ifosfomide
  • These agents will attack fast growing normal cells and cancer cells
  • Normal fast growing cells would include cells found in the hair, mucus membrane, bone marrow
  • The treatments will go in three week cycles
  • There will be 6 cycles for a total of 18 weeks
  • Chemo will be administered through an access port that will be surgically inserted into a major blood vessel in my neck.
  • The port comes out after the treatment is over
  • The port wine goes in after the recovery is over
  • Potential side effects include permanent heart and kidney damage, but are unlikely (less than 5%)
  • Hair loss and "puking" are pretty standard
  • I'll typically spend 3 or 4 nights in the hospital after a treatment
  • My immune system will be down the first week and require me to be careful about infection and getting sick
  • This is a one shot deal. Remaining cancer will be resistant or unaffected in the first place
  • My type of cancer has a 30% chance being eradicated by the chemo
  • The smaller the groups of cells treated, the more likely they are to be completely eliminated if they respond. (The earlier the better)
  • Chemo will begin the end of August after the surgery

That's a thick steak to swallow, I know. Adding whether or not to do it because "we don't know for sure if it spread but there is a 30% chance it has" to the decision process makes one hell of a sauce to top it off.

All jokes aside, this step is pretty serious and intense. We're still extremely positive and very optimistic.

To help ease the down time along, Dad has offered to read "the classics" to me in the hospital. His hope is to learn us Wilson boys on all the great literary works that neither of us have ever had the pleasure of being exposed on more than a Cliff's Notes level.

Gut laughing at him, I refused adamantly and told him I had notified hospital security to deny access to any book older that 12 months and most definitely anything that included the words quixote, expectation, dick, grapes, musketeer, war, peace, moby, and without a doubt pride or prejudice.

Actually a little Homer or Mark Twain my be decent between the CSI Miami marathons.

As always, thank you, sincerely, for everything.

If you have ANY questions, feel free to axe.

17 Comments:

At 7/19/2006 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, that sounds like a fun time. You know we'll be at the hospital with you. We'll see if Gigi can't come for a little entertainment (she'll have to wear a mask though). Wilkins and I will shave our heads and drink till we puke so you don't feel so alone.

Seriously, you know we'll do anything we can to make that time go by as quickly as possible.

 
At 7/19/2006 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde,

What a fun time we had last weekend for my birthday! Loved seeing you & your dad (and Ashley, of course). You are the best son-in-law!

I leave for Russia (& the Baltic) on Friday (some cold air!!!) But I will be back on Aug. 3. We are available to help in any way.

Pride & Prejudice is my all-time favorite movie - I just happen to have a copy if you want...

Love to you both

Betty V. (the road warrior)

 
At 7/19/2006 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy and CP,
I am up for shaving my head again, but only if Hutch will do it again too. I have pictures to remember "the summer Rob looked like a wrestler" if either of you need a refresher on that night.
Sounds rough CP. Hang in there. You will rock the bald guy look much better than I did, I mean, do.
Wall

 
At 7/19/2006 4:26 PM, Blogger CP Harris said...

Please make sure Gigi brings protective eyeware for me this time.

 
At 7/19/2006 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still not totally convinced it wasn't the disgusting port wine that got you into this whole mess. Thanks for the update... best wishes. I keep getting these random latenight text messages that just say "beer." Any explaination for those would be awesome. Preferably that explaination can be given over a beer. Wait... I think I'm catching on.

Keep up the spirits, keep down the stupid fast-growing cells. Tha's what I'm talkin' bout right there, Clyde.

Jayme-who-happens-to-be-in-town-this-weekend-with-not-much-to-do-so-this-would-be-an-opportune-time -for-one-of-those-text-messages.

 
At 7/19/2006 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could auction off the rights to shave my dome and donate the proceeds to cancer research in your honor. If Wilkins and Andy also want to auction off their scalps, we could turn this into a fun little event. Cold beer, good North Carolina barbeque, el Jimador, and newly shorn, ghost-white craniums... you can't beat it.

At a bare minimum, I'll at least wax my chest as a show of solidarity. Either way, Kristin isn't going to like the looks of her aerodynamically improved husband.

 
At 7/19/2006 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in. The last time resulted in my grandmother excusing me from Thanksgiving dinner. We all know how those things can be, so any opportunity to duck out is a plus. You guys decide and I will drive down from Richmond with the Flobee.

 
At 7/19/2006 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP,
Of course they would have to put it in your neck...nothing but the best for you, buddy. I still haven't seen or heard anything you can't defeat. This is who you are and why you're here. Lean forward and know we're behind you. Geronamo!
Love,
Reid

 
At 7/20/2006 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep having visions of Old School when Will takes one to the jugular. Except this time it is not that awesome.

CSI Miami??? Remember I can get my hands on any mini series out there, for less than the gas you spend driving to Duke.

When is the new Play Station due to come out? Nothing to pass a few thousand hours like cutting edge anti-social brain melter.

 
At 7/20/2006 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Win's scalp-a-thon idea. Host it at Lewisburg; throw in a cannonball run into town to "procure" some watermelons, and I'm in too.

 
At 7/20/2006 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Clyde, just found out. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and yours while I get my wife (5 years as researcher at MD anderson) to explain it all to me. I have faith that all will go well for you. KO

 
At 7/20/2006 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde,

I'm in for a head shave and a puke with Wilkins and Andy. I can bring my old Nintendo 64 and the Mario Kart game up to you as well to burn up hours of time. Its an oldie, but goodie.

You and Ashley are in my thoughts. Stay strong and remember how many of us are sending you love to get through this. You're never alone.

The Beast is with you.

 
At 7/20/2006 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde and Ash,
Our thoughts and prayers continue daily for all that you are going through. We hope to get up there one day next week to see you and will be at the hospital to entertain in August. Love you, Meredith and Carter

 
At 7/21/2006 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP,
Instead of that stake I think you should opt for the lobster and cracked crab! We are thinking of you hear and would love to send you some DVD's, can you watch DVD's or is it rabbit ears only at Duke? Hang in there and please note that not only am I shaving my head, I am going for the entire body!!!!!!!!!! I will post some pics on the blog soon!!!
Lovett

 
At 7/22/2006 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realized this morning that I had not checked your updates in a while. Sounds like you are in for an intense time Clyde- but how great to be suurounded by resilient kids who have just as great attitudes as you do?!? I love that you will be at the Pediatric Oncology unit!
I love you both and am praying for you!
AND I think I still have my fat British Lit book from Dr. Lovetts class if you can to borrow it for some STIMULATING reading! :)
-Janet and Marcus

 
At 7/22/2006 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C.P.,
I am a regular blog checker of the Triton Chronicles and I continue to pray for you and your family. In case Fleming has failed to tell you, her new friend Kirk went to the same high school I went to in Tulsa. Such a wee small world. I hope your chemo is a raging success, and I will keep checking out the blog. I am very impressed with your writing skills. Humerous yet direct.
Karen Davidson Smith

 
At 7/23/2006 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in to help you out with the puking, as I have seemed to get incredibly wasted and barfed at the last 3 weddings I have been to:)

Glad that the radiation is over with.... you're getting there!

Mary Craig

 

Post a Comment

<< Home