Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Isn't it a little funny, don't you think?

Monday.
A twelve year old patient slowly wheels up next to me and stops near the water fountain. I was just waiting as usual for a blood tests or admission in the Children's Hospital. After that moment of silence and my assuming that he wanted to chat, I said something generic like. "how's treatment going? I've noticed we're on the same schedule." Easily the details, diagnosis, etc of our situations come out. He's a great, realistic kid with a good attitude and a bone sarcoma on his knee. He asked me which drugs I've taken, so I told him...ifos and dox. "I've taken ifos. Have you taken Chemo Extreme?" "Nope." "Then you've had it easy, that stuff's the worst." I say Chemo Extreme, because I can't rememeber the name. After the kid was done serving me on how his chemo was better than mine, his mom must have smelled blood in the water. She didn't hesitate to jump in and tag team with Alex, remarking on the horrid chemo and using scary facial expressions to let me know this stuff was BAD. I managed to get my composure, but when Moms said, "nobody pushes Alex around," I had to give him a love nudge with my foot, sending him and the chair back about six feet. He looked like he wanted to come after me, but I was keeping an eye on "Million Dollar Baby's Momma" over to the right. The smoke settled and we agreed to squash it and erase the hate. After fist loves around , we walked and wheeled away as friends. Let's face it, we're both on the Cute Kids Photo Board together on the Children's Floor. Pray for these kids. The are so cute, innocent, and strong (so are their families). I would never kick a kid in a wheel chair because he was insinuating his chemo was cooler than mine. Only the wholesome funny parts of the story are true.

Tuesday
Ashley and I tried a new techique to wait at home for a room to be ready after doing bloodwork the previous day (and getting served). We were psyched because it was supposed to cut down on hospital limbo waiting until a room was ready. Our not so firendly previous tenant aka. "the Unibomber" had other ideas. Apparenly when the nurse came in to do a final check on the room that was quite the surprise under towel #2 in the bathroom. They informed us of the crappy situation and that finally the matter was resolved.

Chemo was somewhat delayed do to port irritability, but after raising both hands and coughing loud, we figured out how to get the port working. Very scientific.

I'm checked in, laying in bed a fairly large room. Typing is somewhat of a challenge. The family has diligently split up the hours of visitation with me to the minute. Currently, I've got my bride.

2 treatments this time down, 3 to go. Felt worst during treament but much better when I woke up. Treatments should take place around 6-8pm.

See you soon. Thanks for checking in.

8 Comments:

At 11/08/2006 4:46 PM, Blogger jaci said...

You are so strong, Clyde! We are thinking about you as go through more treatment. You and Ashley remain close to hearts and in our prayers.

much love,
jaci & zac

 
At 11/08/2006 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always pushin around the little guy. We are thinking of you both and know you will do great. I will be in raleigh monday and tuesday.
take care,
Davis

 
At 11/08/2006 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde,

Way to kick that punk to the curb.

In all seriousness, hang in there, buddy. You'll be over the 50 yard line when this crappy week is over. Kristin and I are thinking of you. Lyman "Montgomery Burns" Smith says he'll be waiting on the deck in the rain with a carton of smokes when you get home.

 
At 11/09/2006 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde-
I bet those kids LOVE having you around on the floor-- You might just cure them w/ your humor.
We are always thinking about you.
Love,
Charlotte (Boogin) and all the Hartzogs

 
At 11/09/2006 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the "turn your head and cough" is used for more things than I thought...none of them pleasant. Glad to hear you are turning the corner.

 
At 11/09/2006 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how fortunate you are to be on a floor with kids, they have such endurance and strength for tough situations. I'm sure a little laughter exchanged between you and them lifts everyone's spirits. Keep up the faith, remember, this too shall pass and you will be back to your old self soon. After this, 2 to go.
Your can do it!
Lots of prayers for you and the family
Carolyn

 
At 11/09/2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The finish line is on the horizon...keep hanging in there. When do we get to see the progress of the arm?

Love,
Andy and Whitney

 
At 11/09/2006 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, the last time I heard you quote Alanis you also had no hair. Little did we know...

Hang in there. We continue to check your blog daily and speak of you often. Y'all are in our thoughts.

Luke & Lauren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home