Friday, June 22, 2007

Mediocre Update

In a few hours, they’re wheeling me off to Duke’s hyperbaric chamber for a 2-hour “dive” in a high concentration of oxygen situation (max depth, 2 atmospheres). This is one of the efforts to strengthen the remaining flap on my arm. I think I heard someone say I'd be going on ten dives ASAP.

After the skin was removed, it was evident that some of the muscle was unhealthy. And by unhealthy, I mean dead or dying. You know, serious...not something like unhealthy heartburn from too much fried food at the fair. Man, they can fry anything these days.

Keeping with my approach to being an oddball patient consistent, the muscle the furthest from where they connected the blood supply looks the best. That pretty much doesn't happen when there is a problem.

I’m tired, highly medicated, and don’t feel like writing now; although, I’ve still been writing and editing this thing for the past 45 minutes. There is a disgusting picture on Triton Photos I took this morning. Feel free to take a peek behind the bandages. I really impressed myself on this one.

As I discussed with the docs this morn, our goals are to get this thing healthy and covered and then get my hand to work. They just want to be super safe with everything. There is an infection they are trying to take care of as well, but I'll know more about that this afternoon. It sounds serious but not serious like I used the word "unhealthy" earlier...

I’m practically writing this thing in my sleep so I’m off for a nap in my room, then I’m crushing a monster nap, when I take my chamber ride, I’ll be locked away from all the nurses, doctors, family, phones, etc, etc. Without spellcheck, you would have thought I put down a fifth of Jack before composing this (if you called you might think the same thing). I think I missppelled 30-40% of the words.

Mad Love

CP

PS I'm back from the chamber...no frills. Hung out in a big chamber for 2 hours with several other people, the most entertaining part was an 85 year old woman who kept falling asleep with her mouth open while sitting straight up.

Basically, you just sit in a recliner in a circular formation with a plastic cylindrical headpiece on to keep the oxygen contained. Since igniting pressurized pure oxygen is bad if you're in the configned space, they keep it concentrated primarily around you head. It’s pretty funny. Everyone kinda looks like Dr. Evil at the end of Austin Powers when Evil had on the plastic suit. The treatment goes well...the people are nice...the place is impressive...and you leave felling great.

GREAT NEWS FLASH: The hand therapist came by just before the HBO (hyperbaric oxygen something etc) and said my hand showed great promise. She complemented me on the noticeable results that could have only come from relentless at-home persistence with the exercises they had given me. Now the brace is off and I’ve got a pamphlet of 15 or so new ones. I’ll be throwing dice and eating Pad Prick Kra Paw with chop sticks in no time.

FYI

Traditional stir-fry with garlic, chili, bell peppers, onions and Thai basil leaves
Choice of tofu/chicken, minced chicken or baby shrimp: 11.99/12.99 (Order Hot)

12 Comments:

At 6/22/2007 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Clyde -

Thinking of you and Ashley. Hang in there.

Wendi

 
At 6/22/2007 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Mad Love to you!!!!Everything will get back on steadier ground soon. Margaret

 
At 6/22/2007 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this surgery has involved a longer hospital stay than you anticipated. We are praying that you are healthy again in no time! Stay tough!
Lindsay

 
At 6/22/2007 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn cp - that last photo is of razzle page 5 quality...hang in there buddy - but after seeing that photo i would advise that you hang from your left arm...

soave

 
At 6/22/2007 6:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

CP--thanks for keeping the site and updating all of us--my work computer blocked the photo!
get well soon!

--charlie

 
At 6/22/2007 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are like the New Kids on the Block...hangin' tough

E. Miller

 
At 6/23/2007 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, your arm has gone from Leatherface to Freddy Krueger. That thing is sweet.

Love,
Jason (aka Panky, aka Andy)

 
At 6/23/2007 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you can get a visual...

Freddy:
http://img.yessy.com/932124363-28497b.jpg

Leatherface:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Leatherface1974.jpg/499px-Leatherface1974.jpg

Love,
Jason
http://www.horror-wood.com/DENJSON.jpg

 
At 6/23/2007 11:31 AM, Blogger Kim Seymour said...

It's taken me a while to find your blog again but you and Ashley have been in my prayers, specifically, every day. For what they're worth Not sure I've got the most pull with The Man Upstairs but He loves to surprise me. It's Saturday morning and I just read through your blog to catch up. I'm moved to tears and had a huge surge of faith that this will all turn out for you. Amazing. Truly. Hang on and keep up the good fight!
All strength and faith to you and Ashley...
Kim

 
At 6/24/2007 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soave, this is big C, His left arm is the bad one. I would advise hanging from the right arm. I am not a qualified che so for all I know you would hang from the bad arm so you could still hold a beer in your good one. Love all of you great friends, Clyde

 
At 6/25/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger Hutch said...

I will be visiting Sawasde tomorrow nite, CP. I will forego getting my usual Mjang Pla and Red Curry in favor of your Pad Prick Kra Paw. I am sure it will not disappoint.

Sawasde is still one of mine & H's fav dives - thanks to you and Verms.

Sawasde Caap!

 
At 6/25/2007 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

touche big c - i did mean right arm. i do, however, like your rationale about holding a beer by th egood arm. nice thinkng - and extremely cheg like...
i think you are official

 

Post a Comment

<< Home