Saturday, July 28, 2007

DOC PT TENS

Fleming and I had a good visit yesterday with both my hand doctor and physical therapists.

We had the usual brief but informative meeting with the doctor and his assistant.

1. The graft looks good. The doctor actually said it was the best he had seen it.
2. I only have to bandage the little area in the center where the graft didn't take and is still open/healing.
3. Any problem with the hand is from radiation not the doctor's fault. (I love this one)
4. I'm going to maintain my pain medication for now.
5. They referred me to the Pain Clinic to look further into the general pain.
6. I'll go back in three weeks, which could be a final check up.

So everything seems to have gone well. Everything except for Fleming almost losing her lunch and/or passing out when they removed the bandage from my arm giving her a first look since surgery. I joked that is was a little bash to my confidence when my arm had Fleming seeing stars and asking for water. I think she finally got adjusted. Like I've said in the past, the renovations on the arm are shockingly impressive to say the least. Truthfully, I'm used to the arm and think it less of an issue each day.

After seeing the doctor and helping Fleming cope with the experience, I visited my physical therapist who I really like and feel very confident. She is very realistic with a smile.

1. We readjusted the splints, one for sleeping or just maintaining the stretch to my fingers, the other for exercising my fingers.
2. Either can worn pretty much any time.
3. The hand splint had to be adjusted an inch around my hand to accommodate the swelling going down so much.
4. Both splints are now more comfortable.
5. I slept in one of them for the first time last night.
6. We're going to start the casting after I return from the beach.
7. I crushed a jelly donut and two white chocolate macadamia nut cookies while there.

This was my favorite visit so far, and not just because they fed me. I really felt like we accomplished the most, dealt with my concerns, and made a plan to maximize the potential of me hand. To help with pain, we are trying a TENS unit. Transcutaneous Electrical Neural Stimulation consists of two pads that stick to different locations currently above my elbow. The "shock" both distracts the brain from the hand pain as well as changes the pain. I agreed, the different pain was a welcome change. It's really hard to understand exactly how it affects me but you can appreciate that I like the results.

My next visit is Wednesday for a chest scan and a meeting with my surgical oncologists and the doctor that planned and monitored all of my radiation treatments. With everything being so crazy over the past few months, I have to be honest and say I'm nervous. We're looking forward to a nice vacation at the beach after the hopefully good day.

9 Comments:

At 7/28/2007 2:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Thinking of you and Ash.... McKenzie

 
At 7/29/2007 4:15 PM, Blogger Clark Harris said...

The electro-shock therapy sounds interesting, I'm sure KiloWatts is excited you are getting a taste of your own medicine.

Seems you have turned the corner bro, you are now on the mend. I bet the doctors didn't think the old knee would turn out so well when it was held together by nuts and bolts...

 
At 7/29/2007 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so happy that you received good words from your PT. Thinking and praying for you daily! Much love to you and Ashley. Cindy and Ed

 
At 7/30/2007 10:27 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

We are always thinking about you guys and hope next week's visit goes well. Have a blast at the beach - you both deserve a nice break.

Love,
Hilary and Lumpy

 
At 7/30/2007 2:18 PM, Blogger Hutch said...

So, we need to send some serious EXTRA lub your way on Wednesday ... if that is even possible. I got knots in my stomach just thinking about it (or that could be lunch) - but like i've said before:

I am overly confident in your strength, and the power of all of our (friends) and your family's love. I KNOW all will be well.

PS - I have those shock things for my back ... they actually feel pretty good. Just don't spill a beer on it.

 
At 7/30/2007 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clyde,
Good to hang last weekend. I like hearing the good updates. Look forward to spending time with you and Ashley at the beach in a couple of weeks.

 
At 7/30/2007 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is the electro shock administered by a shock lighter??? shocker, shocker...

PS - Wednesday WILL be a GOOD day.

soave

 
At 7/31/2007 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP - we'll be thinking about y'all tomorrow, we hope and pray it will be an exceptional report. You'll be on the beach drinkin leegro in no time.

Much love,
O, Mer, Pres, and HB

 
At 8/08/2007 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CP
Just talked with your dad and he told me the news. Best of Luck and God bless, prayers are with you.
doc C (Alisha's dad)
Wilson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home